Thursday, September 14, 2006

Zig Ziglar

So I was reading "Secrets of the Sale" by Zig Ziglar and he kept mentioning living in Columbia and naming small towns around the state. It was at the same time that I learned he was to make a presentation at an event in Greenville, SC. I wrote his office and said if he could give me the address of the house where he lived, I'd take a picture of it an bring it to the event. I received a nice message back from his assistant stating that Mr. Ziglar didn't remember his address, but thanks for the thought.

So I went to the SC State Library and asked for the phonebooks from 1965-1975. Sure enough, he was in there. And, sure enough, the house is still where it was in the late 1960s. I took a picture of the home to the event in Greenville.

After his talk, I got in line where he was signing autographs. I was with a friend of mine named Saddler who works at McKissick Museum at the University of South Carolina. We were joking about how long it was taking and that wouldn't it be a shame if they cut us off. Well, sure enough, Bryan Flanagan, who works with Mr. Ziglar, went down the line and said after the kids who were in front of us, Mr. Ziglar had to go. Well, lucky I had that picture with me and I explained to Mr. Flanagan about my correspondence with Mr. Ziglar and all and he said, "Well, isn't that the nicest thing. Go stand over there and we'll walk with Mr. Zigler on his way out."

We got pushed around as Mr. Ziglar made his way out of the area to an elevator. Mr. Flanagan told Mr. Ziglar that I had something for him. I pushed in and said, "Mr. Ziglar, my name is Craig and I'm taken a picture of your home in Columbia." Mr. Ziglar said, "Oh, so you're the guy!"